We have been very fortunate over the past year to have such a brilliant and dynamic group of members, clients, partner organization reps, community stakeholders, and staff contribute to “Around and About”. It’s been fascinating, with all of the little tips one can take away from reading one post, let alone all posts on the blog. Have you been keeping up with our blog all year ‘round? If not, now may be a good time to sit back, relax and have a good read.
Maybe a post may inspire you; it may help you remember something you’ve forgotten to do. Maybe it will have you writing notes to take back to the office! There’s is so much information, insight, and experience at your fingertips. Whether you’re an avid “Around and About” reader or one that checks in every now and again, you are sure to walk away learning something new.
As a look back to 2014 and our amazing blog posts, I wanted to take a moment and highlight some of, what I feel is, the most fabulous blog posts that have been inspirational, informational and reminiscent of NLOWE.
- Is your Website Screaming 2004 Instead of 2014? By Amanda Ayles, AmandaMarks Creative: Sometimes we just need a kick in the behind. This Blog post encapsulates this “kick”, giving you reasons why sometimes our websites do get left behind, along with indicators and some enlightening tips on how to update your website.
- The Important of Practicing Gratitude By Andrea Sharpe, Karlande Designs Ltd.: This blog post caught my attention, as it is very inspirational. It shows the importance of gratitude and how your positivity can help you day to day and others around you. The post was inspiring and to the point.
- A Goal Without a Plan is just a Wish By Christina Adams, Antenna Social Media + Design: Social Media can be frustrating for some, and others don’t even know how it can help their business. This informative blog post illustrates what you need to know and provides tips on how to interact and what people want to see.
- Driving Employee Engagement- Four Areas of Focus By Jessica Chapman, ethree Consulting: Keeping employees engaged is an issue that is common for many business owners. This blog addresses the issue through stats and provides insight on what to address to sustain high levels of engagement.
- “Hi-ho, Hi-ho, it’s off to work I go!”- Health and Happiness in the Workplace By Laurie Pinhorn, Holistic Health Coach: I think what most caught my attention with this post are the devastating statistics regarding costs associated with health issues in the workplace. This could be a real eye opener for some business owners, but don’t worry, the blog offers lots of great tips, too!
- Red Flags and Real Winners: Believe them when they show you who they are- the first time By Tina Olivero, The OGM and Transform with Tina: This post provides a novel approach on finding valuable employees through looking for red flags and showing you how to find real winners.
- 4 Golden Rules for Thriving in Tourism By Marieke Gow, the Artisan Inn and Twine Loft Restaurant: Tourism is so very important in Newfoundland and Labrador. Marieke shares her advice in hopes of tourism success all over the province.There are some very useful tips in this post that not only those in tourism can take away, but also those in other industries as well.
- 5 Awesome [FREE!} Tools for Small Businesses By Kathleen Dwyer, KCD Web Services: Every business owner should know about these tools. I Love that “Around and About” is a platform for our woman business owners to trade secrets and this is one you should all know! These are time savers, making you more efficient and they are free!
- #nloweawards: A Recap of the 2014 Entrepreneur of the Year Awards- A Social Event By Melissa Wheeler, Business Connections Coordinator, NLOWE: When I started this list, I automatically knew this post would be a part of it. Each year, the NLOWE Entrepreneur of the Year Awards keep getting better and better. Melissa did such an amazing job of recapping a remarkable evening. Anyone who did not attend could certainly feel like they were there from reading this post.
I have enjoyed taking a look back through the past year of blogs and talented bloggers that have contributed. I have, myself, written down some tips I had forgotten about. The most awe-inspiring part of looking through past posts is all of the talent, the energy and the passion that woman business owners have for their products and services and that they love to share it with everyone.
I am looking forward to an excellent year in 2015 of blog posts, events, workshops, awards, networking and continuing to meet all of the wonderful women business owners. As a Business Start Up Advisor myself, I like to share my knowledge and help as many businesses I can. In saying that, I have also learned so much from woman business owners and I am so very pleased that “Around and About” has become a wonderful place to showcase all of the wisdom and abilities.
Lindsay Mercer is a NLOWE Business Start-up Advisor for the Central region. From an inkling of an idea to your first year of operations, Lindsay can provide assistance to help you grow your business. If you are in the Central region and are interested in learning more about what NLOWE can do for you and your business, contact Lindsay at 1.888.489.0218 or firstname.lastname@example.org.